1) In the days of Noah, something very unusual took place. It wouldn’t be the last time that it took place either. The sons of God took the daughters of men as their wives and gave birth to giants. These men would not only be monstrous in size, but monstrous in wickedness also. Many Christians want to find a human explanation for this passage turning the sons of God into the men in the line of Seth and the daughters of men from the line of Cain, but a union of humans would not produce the superhuman giants that these men of renown were. Also, if the whole world was so wicked that only Noah and his family were saved, then there would be no righteous line of Seth in which to mate.
2) The term sons of God, although used in the New Testament to describe the Christian’s relationship to God is not used the same way in the Old Testament. The term “bene elohim” is only used here in Genesis and in one other book, the book of Job. In Job it is clear that the term refers to angels - Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7. Thus we can deduce that the term sons of God means exactly the same thing here. The reason for some having problems with this interpretation is that the Lord said, “in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.” Matt. 22:30. The leap has been made that this indicates that they are sexless and can‘t marry or have relations, but that is not what the verse actually says. It says they don’t marry, not that they are physically incapable. Since they don’t die, there is no need for them to procreate. Our sexual relations(within marriage) are basically for that purpose. Marriage is also to serve as a model for the relation the church has with Christ. The angels have no need of marriage as a reminder of what a relationship with Christ is, as they are not the heirs of salvation, and they already live in his presence. Gabriel is described as being a male. The angels going to Sodom were described as being male. In Zech. 5:9 we see where a couple of angels are described as female. When we are resurrected we will retain our identity and gender, however since the purpose of marriage and sex was for reproduction on the earth, we will have no need for such relationships in heaven. Our relationship with the Lord will fulfill all our needs. It was not intended for angels to reproduce themselves, so they do not marry. Again, that doesn’t mean that they are sexless and incapable of having sexual relations should they so choose. They can manifest in physical bodies as shown in Scripture, such as when they came to Sodom and all the men there wanted to have sex with them. Obviously when the angels chose to have relations with humans, they fell from heaven in disobedience to God’s intentions. Satan’s intention was to corrupt the seed of woman so that Christ could not be born, and what better way than adding demonic blood into the bloodlines. When Noah was born, his father prophesied that comfort and relief from the curse would come from him. He was untainted by this blood and found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Gen. 6:9 says “Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.” The word perfect wasn’t referring to his righteousness. It already mentioned he was just and walked with God. It said he was perfect in his generations. His bloodline was untainted by demonic blood. He was probably one of the few people whose bloodline was untainted.
3) That these fallen angels could take any woman they chose shows the degree of moral decay that existed at that time. God-fearing women surely wouldn’t want a sexual union with one of these fallen creatures, (even if they were tall, blonde, and good-looking) although it is quite probable that many of them were forced. The addition of this into the world would cause the extreme wickedness that caused God to obliterate the world with the flood.
4) These fallen angels compounded their sin of following Satan and being cast out of heaven. Jude 6 tells us that “the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.” These angels did not keep to the dimension in which they were created. They came down to the earth and left that dimension. They are chained until God judges the world (described in Rev.) and not allowed to roam loose as are other fallen spirits, as God considered this a really heinous act as it would prevent the Saviour from being born.
5) You would think that would be the end of it, but in fact more angels (fallen) do this again after the flood (either this or some of the nephilim survived the flood elsewhere than earth.) This is the source of the giants such as Goliath and the other Philistines. That is why God insisted that the Israelites wipe out entire groups of people when they came to the promised land. They were tainted with demonic blood, which could not be allowed to accidentally mingle with Israelite blood. It had to be completely eliminated. We hear of people today claiming to have sex with “ghosts” and being impregnated by “aliens” and having these babies taken from their wombs by the “aliens”. It does say in Matt. 24:37 that in our time (end days) it will be as it was in the days of Noah. It would seem that possibly they are at it again, although pretending to be aliens. Since we have no giants roaming the earth, per se, at least they are not out roaming in public- there is the occasional abnormally large person (8-9') - one wonders if babies are being taken and what they are doing with them. Is an army being put together to make us think we are under an alien invasion? (This is speculative naturally)
6) An interesting idea is that most myths have some basis in fact. If we look at Roman and Greek myths of the gods and half-god/half-humans such as Hercules, we find the stories of “men of renown” and stories of giants, just as the Bible says existed. It is possible these are the corrupted stories of the Bible nephilim (giants) that have been passed down through the pagan world. Also the legend of Atlantis is most likely the corrupted version of the antediluvian world. According to the Book of Enoch (again not canon, but possibly some truth historically), the angels who came down gave all kinds of forbidden knowledge to man - for instance occult practices, technology, etc. (This is no doubt true. I believe it is happening again in our time.) This is the description given of Atlantis in the myths, that it was highly evolved technologically and pagan in practice. Atlantis sank into the ocean. So did the antediluvian world. It is known that every culture on earth has some sort of flood legend, so it is easy to believe that the existence of a world sunken into the ocean is a story that would have been passed down through the generations, but in a corrupted version, as God only kept his version free from error.
7) God announces that He has had it with mankind and their violence and wickedness and is giving them 120 more years. They will no longer listen, and the blood has been so tainted, there is no redeeming it. He has to start over. He gives them 120 years for two reasons. God is remarkably patient with mankind (He wants all to come to the truth) and it takes Noah that long to make the ark. During this time, Noah apparently does continue to preach, (but they obviously won’t listen.) 2 Pet. 2:5
8) The word "nephil" translated giants (we often say nephilim) is a derivative of another word that means fallen and would describe the nature of these giants. It is interesting that there is a note that not only were there giants then, but it tells us there that they will happen again later in history, which we do find later in the Scriptures, such as when Joshua and the spies go out from the desert to spy out the land and some come back saying that they are as grasshoppers in comparison to the inhabitants of the promised land. Again to reference the Book of Enoch, if it is historical, it is said that these giants were by today's standards as large as thirty-five feet tall. God referred to the Amorites as being as tall as cedars. The cedars of Lebanon grew to a good 130 feet. That would definitely make us look like grasshoppers by comparison. Apparently each following generation gets smaller as by the time of David, Goliath is only nine feet tall. King Og was measured at thirteen feet at that time.
9) Since the days before the Lord’s coming is supposed to be a repeat of the days of Noah, Matt. 24:37-39, Luke 17:26-27 it behooves us to see exactly what these days were like, besides having intercourse - both sexually and intellectually with fallen spiritual entities. We know from the above verses that the wickedness of man had reached an all time high as every imagination of their hearts was evil continually. Let us see what some of those characteristics might have been and see if they exist today.
- Matt. 24:38-39 “For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day the Noah entered into the ark. And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” They were occupied with physical appetites. Eating and drinking, (one assumes alcoholic beverages were abused), drugs, probably partying, gluttony. One can guess that there was lots of illicit and perverted sex as this generally follows the former. They were marrying and giving in marriage. Probably multiple ones, either consecutive through divorce, or polygamy and homosexual unions. All practiced today - the first by more than half the people in this country (and others) , and the second by certain religious sects and cultures. The last by way too many people. This verse also says that they knew not until the flood came and took them away. They were oblivous in spite of the fact that Noah was preaching, no doubt the preaching was warning them that the world they knew was about to come to an end. Today we know that Christ is about to return, and yet with those of us telling people that the world (as we know it-not the planet) is about to come to an end, people are completely ignoring us. The Scriptures tell us that people will again be blindsided when God brings down His wrath. His coming will be like a thief in the night to them, just as it was to Noah's generation. 2 Peter 3:3-7, 10. 1 Thess. 5:2-3.
- Every thought of their imagination was continually evil. Not occasionally, but continually. Today every direction we turn we are assailed with evil in some form or another. The only way to escape it is to become a hermit in a cave somewhere with no communication with the outside world. It is to be expected that occult practices ran rampant at that time, as they do today.
- Genesis 4:20-22 talks about the development of technology. Metallurgy, musical instruments, animal husbandry. If you stop and consider, man was created with incredible intelligence. Adam named all the animals on the first day of his life. Gen. 2:19. That took some thought. We know we only use a small portion of our brain these days. They no doubt used it all, since the world (and everything in it, including us) has been deteriorating since the start. We don’t even begin to know what other technologies they may have possessed. But since we have incredible technology in these days, and it is progressing geometrically, one can assume that with the fallen angels helping them, they also had an explosion of technology.
- There was incredible violence in the land then. Today we have children killing each other. People are abusing children. Women and children are constantly disappearing and usually turning up dead. Road rage has become a problem. Drive-by shootings. Everybody is constantly angry anymore. Movies, TV, and video games all portray violence all the time. Our children are exposed to it all the time, which has had the unfortunate side-effect of making them immune to its horror. Even cannibalism is being glorified in movies like Silence of the Lambs.
- It says that the earth had become corrupt, that all flesh had corrupted his way. Only one family was still clinging to faith - in the whole earth, only one family. Sometimes we feel alone with so many Christians becoming apostate and living licentiously, but imagine if yours were the only family still believing in God. There was no restraint at all. The Hebrew word for corrupt is sometimes translated as destroy, so the earth was destroying itself with its violence and corruption.
- Notice that God says he is going to destroy the earth with the earth. The world as they knew it would perish by God using the earth itself against them. It would be a totally different world, as we will see, when they came out of the ark.